Thankyou for visiting my blog "MOM spelled backwards is MOM"
here you will find crafts for all ages, recipes for all occasions, and just plain fun old bloggin' ...Feel free to leave questions & comments, and if you try one of my crafts/recipees i would love your feedback, even pictures to share! Please see the right side panel for a list of blog post catagories & my dated blog archive
-Amanda



Monday, March 5, 2012

Jersey Clam Chowder. Making the 30 Meals

The jersey clam chowder taste awesome!

It was a hit with the whole family.

I followed the recipe almost exactly, because I did however make two substitutions:

1. I didn't have bacon, and aiming for a more healthy approach, I used 3 turkey sausage links. I sliced them open and browned the meat in the butter, just as the bacon said.

2. I cut a handful of cocktail shrimp into thirds and added them with the clams. (Tails and shells removed. Mine were frozen & precooked)


In addition I used canned corn, and I sliced my celery thinner then the 1inch sections the recipe called for, partly because of my picky eatters. I sliced them into regular soup size maybe a 1/5th of an inch?


The 4 of us each had a bowl, my husband had seconds, and we had enough left over to fill a small tupperware container. Maybe 2 possibly 3 servings.


My husband also mentioned that he liked that it was creamy but not to thick like some canned soups. It was really pretty thin & smooth, and had just the right amount of veggies & seafood.


Looking for the recipe? Find it here.


As far as the shopping for this meal, I purchased a half pound of fresh chopped clams which was the perfect amount & I didn't have to try and cut them, which cost me $3.26 at the seafood counter at pricechopper. Clam juice there was also $1.16 for an 8oz glass bottle for which I needed 2. So I spent about $6 at the market for these specifics. Spices & Veggies and milkd I had on hand. So this whole meal I would estimate at under a $10 cost.

A great way to save money is buy veggies like onions, celery, carrots etc in bulk. Slice or chop them, and freeze them in single servings such as 1 onion, 3 celery sticks, 4 carrots etc. That way when a meal calls for veggies u can just grab some out of the freezer and you don't let them go to waste sitting on counters when you don't need them all.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment