Thankyou for visiting my blog "MOM spelled backwards is MOM"
here you will find crafts for all ages, recipes for all occasions, and just plain fun old bloggin' ...Feel free to leave questions & comments, and if you try one of my crafts/recipees i would love your feedback, even pictures to share! Please see the right side panel for a list of blog post catagories & my dated blog archive
-Amanda



Wednesday, September 12, 2018

OK...It's twins! Now what? #reignOFTwins

This post is all about finding out we were expecting, announcing to family and our gender reveal.
And a little background of testing and symptoms early on.
With three kids at home, and a want for another, we decided to go for it.
From the very beginning, there was signs that things were different.
The morning sickness was worse, sleeplessness, an over all feeling of blah. Even the heartburn, and oh the sense of smell. I could hardly bare the grocery store meat section or preparing freshmeat/produce.
I had never had symptoms so intense. My other pregnancies were a walk in the park.
My first blood draw, my numbers were really high. I remember them asking if I miscalculated.
I joked with my closest friend that twins had to be the only explanation. I was miserable. My numbers were high. That had to be it.
My first ultrasound visit was probably the most confusing of all. The tech was puzzled. She could see two round shaped objects, both different in size, both looking empty, but another view they seemed to cross over eachother. It was at this point where I asked if something was wrong. Her reply?
"I'm not sure." "At this point in your gestation (roughly 7.5 weeks) we should visably see baby and heartbeat by now. What I'm seeing, I'm unsure if its one sac (gestational sac) two sacs, or maybe even cysts. They surely look empty."
She left to talk with the doctor, and returned with the same thought process. They sent me home and asked me to return in about 10 days to rescan. Now while I was checking out, they had already requested that I make a secondary counseling appointment after my next scan. They wanted me to be prepared for bad news and ready to make any decisions warranted. I went home thinking surely this was a loss again. And I had been so miserable because my body was rejecting this pregnancy.
I went home and told my husband that I didn't really have answers and I was basically told not to get my hopes up. For the next week or so I didn't want to face what could happen. I didn't even want him to come to my next ultrasound because I inevitably thought it wouldn't go well, and I wanted to process alone.
Armed with my ice coffee and a head full of emotions anxiety and doubt, I checked in. I was brought into an ultrasound room. Given a talk of how we were checking of viability abd at this point if nothing shows theres nothing more to be done, and did I have a secondary appointment after. Yes. I did.
Meanwhile I was wondering why her whole demeanor was seemingly rude. If she was preparing to give me bad news a little friendlyness could make all the difference. I honestly think she was upset because she had to repeat the same scan she already did and made a educated diagnosis on the week before.
(Now, quickly just to say this was the same woman, that a week before hand told me not to get my hopes up. She didnt think it looked good.)
I laid back and closed my eyes.
Instantly I heard, out loud even- a laugh and a "oh my god" before even opening my eyes, I said whats wrong. Because at this point my nervous brain was wondering if I heard a laugh or a gasp-which would be a bad thing.
I'll never forget the words "Nothing is wrong, I cant believe it, there is two! And they are healthy" she quickly showed me on the screen and then left the room to show a parade of other techs that she had found twins. The only off putting thing was that they were measuring around 6 weeks. Which seeing as how I was 7ish weeks the previous visit. She guessed they were further behind and it was too early to see them before.
That theory needed some debunking...because if I was actually a full two weeks off in my calculations...I would never have gotten the original positive or sky high blood works when I did.
I wouldn't know until later on, that there could have been 3 babies originally. The larger, empty sac, could have been an unviable triplet blocking the view of the healthy twins behind. I say this because it explains that awkward first ultrasound, the long list of medical complications, and one of the babies having a double lobbed placenta nearly 3x the size of average.
Finding out we were having twins was a giant rainbow of emotions. Just minutes ago I thought I was facing another miscarriage (or blighted ovum. Or cysts) and now there is not one...but two healthy little beans growing!
My husband. I still needed to tell him! When he picked me up I immediately blurted out, I'm not sure if its good news or bad news, but there is two! He sat silent. Like if he was making sure I wasn't joking. Then it sat in and he was kind of blank faced and then bounced right back and said wow two! We can do this it will be fine! I made twins! Then I explained they were probably fraternal and he, while he played a part in making them, had no impact on the fact that there was two eggs lol.
Then I called my best friend, who also thought I was being silly. I guess I'm a pretty comical character 🤣. Once she realized I was being truthful. Her response? Shit just got real.
We all agreed, we should keep the fact that there was 2 a secret. So for the next few weeks I went about my days with lack of sleep and nausea to the moon. Until I was in the "safe zone" of 12 weeks. We announced our pregnancy and that a new addition was on the way.
My plan would have gone well. Until the due date confusion came along. My original measurements placed me at may 20th. With the adjustments, June 6th. But with planning my brothers surgery apt and vacations I had gone with "sometime in may". My grandmother wasn't happy with that answer and kept questioning me why I wasn't planning on a June baby and why my dates kept changing. Randomly during one of her bout of questions, i blurted out. I DON'T KNOW MY DUE DATE BECAUSE ITS TWINS.
At this point. Again SHE thought i was joking. She actually yelled and asked why I would joke like that and why I would say there was two. 3x I repeated "because there is!" Then my mother heard, and my children, and the entire house finally got the news and was shocked...excited but shocked.
What the heck will you do with two?
Where will they fit?
How can you handle both?
Are they identical?
That will make 5 kids!
The questions never end.
Believe me I asked them myself. But there was no going back now. Time for twice the fun, twice the fears, two of everything, and 5 children at home.
Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment