Thankyou for visiting my blog "MOM spelled backwards is MOM"
here you will find crafts for all ages, recipes for all occasions, and just plain fun old bloggin' ...Feel free to leave questions & comments, and if you try one of my crafts/recipees i would love your feedback, even pictures to share! Please see the right side panel for a list of blog post catagories & my dated blog archive
-Amanda



Monday, December 30, 2013

Baby cereal, jar or self mix?

I've noticed a lot of controversy on this topic.

As far as I'm concerned,  what is the problem with the added convenience of ready to eat cereal? Same manufacterer, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if u mix it yourself or you buy it mixed, there's no big difference in ingredients. The only downside is your not getting the choice of added breastmilk/formula of your choosing for mixing, but rather the formula or juice they use for mixing.

For two cereal with fruit meals a day, it was costing me about $2 a week for boxed cereal ($8 mo) and $5 a week for 7 jars of fruit, ($20 no) split in half for each twice daily feeding, for a total of $28. Which would technically be more if I had to buy juice or formula to make the cereal, but i use breastmilk.
Which is turn requires mixing, adjusting to get the right texture, heating, and washing a bowl.

For two cereal feedings a day, one plastic rectangle container or one jar lasts for two feedings as she only eats half. So one 2 pack of rectangle containers, is $1 at pricechopper. Theres a great variety of oatmeals, and mixed rice, granola, etc with all different fruit combinations.
$1 is 4 meals or 2 days. 30 days in a month, is $15 cost to have premixed, always the same texture and amount, room temp, no bowl, and ready to take with you or keep in the diaper bag when your on the run.
Even moving up to three a day, still keeps this cost at 3packs/two days to about $20.

So yes, I buy jars/containera and pay for convience, but it also saves me money!

No comments:

Post a Comment